I had the pleasure of trying out the new Fujifilm X70 during Gulf Photo Plus 2016. The recently announced X70 features (via Fuji’s website):
- The Ultimate APS-C sized sensor compact X
- New 18.5mm wide angle lens
- X-Trans™* CMOS II & EXR Processor II
- Manual Dial Operation
- Auto Mode Selector Lever
- Fastest AF 0.1 sec.
- New Tilting LCD & Touchscreen Monitor
- New Digital Tele-Converter
It is a sweet little camera. It’s small and fits nicely in your hands. Street shooters will love this as a take-anywhere camera. It fits nicely in a jacket pocket and can be used discreetly. What I love about the Fuji X-T1 is the tilting LCD screen. The Fuji X70 features the same (sorely lacking on the new X-Pro2). The touch-screen functionality of the LCD can be used for focusing or triggering the shutter.
The digital zoom is a nice touch for those of use not liking to shoot at the standard wide 18.5mm lens., coming in 35mm and 50mm features. The zoom ring is a tad on the small side and fiddly until you get acquainted with it. Alas, it suffers from all the same woes digital zoom brings to the table.
What I like:
- Small and compact
- Great JPGs straight out of the camera
- Great color and B&W images
- Easy to use
- WiFi connectivity with the Fuji Remote App
- Much improved menu layout compared to previous Fuji bodies
- Same great Fuji quality
What I don’t like:
- Digital zoom is tad soft
- Digital zoom is only accessible in single shot mode – not in burst mode
- The 18.5mm lens – more of a personal issue as that doesn’t match my shooting style
Thanks to Fujifilm UAE for the loan on the camera. I also had the chance to shoot the X-Pro2 – a brief review is forthcoming.